In the Modenese Encyclopedia volume 14
….Gifted with natural talent, he attended the Art Institute “Adolfo Venturi” and then was a student, for several years, of the well-known artist Ubaldo Magnavacca.
From him he learned decisive lessons: his etchings acquired solidity of composition and precision of sign.
Even the narrative tones of his pictorial works took on analogies with the scenarios of the master. Recurrent was, for example, the solemn and industrious representation of life in the fields. The oxen at work, the peasants absorbed in their daily toil were able to evoke feelings of deep peace and authentic harmony with the surrounding environment.
Morselli’s debut on the national scene took place in Florence in 1931, with the participation in the “Epiphany Exhibition”.
In the same year he also took part in the National Exhibition of Fine Arts in Turin and in that of Sacred Art in Padua. In 1932 he participated in the International Exhibition of Montecatini Terme and, in 1936, in the national exhibitions of Florence and Bologna.
He married in 1949: the family was always a fixed and decisive point for his life, reserved yes, but full of true and lasting affections. In 1949 he moved to Pavullo, a town where he remained for ten years and in which he accentuated the traits of the shy character, austere, eager for isolation and peace.
Real life filtered into his artistic production with distant echoes and nuanced tones.
His dissatisfaction grew as an artist not paying for the results, although flattering, achieved, always convinced that “we could do better”.
Landscapes, portraits, flowers, still lifes – a predilection for thistles and pumpkins – despite their thematic diversity had in common a palette on low and restful tones.
From reality Morselli knew how to grasp lyrical and nostalgic aspects, without ever, however, giving in to excessive sentimentality.
The Pavullese environment, the contact with a large group of artists who worked there, opened new horizons, led him to try other ways, to reflect on his pictorial activity.
However, he did not allow himself to be attracted by fashions and was not profoundly influenced by new currents. In 1953, after presenting three etchings on Orlando Furioso themes at the “National Exhibition of Painting and Modern Engraving” in Reggio Emilia, he suddenly stopped his artistic production.
He resumed it only after five years, once he returned to live in Modena in a house, now demolished, in via Carlo Zucchi.
He began to exhibit his works to the public again on the occasion of a painting and sculpture exhibition curated by the Municipality of Nonantola in 1958. Since then his activity has not stopped. His first solo exhibition was set up in Sassuolo, at the “Aravecchia” Gallery in 1968. A second one followed in Modena, at the “Tassoni” Gallery in 1969.
From 1970 to 1976 he took part in several art exhibitions in various centers of northern Italy. We mention: Salsomaggiore Terme, Riva del Garda, Padua, Arco, Torbole, Bergamo, Genoa. In 1976 he had a new solo show at the “Sala Gialla” of the Club del Corso di Carpi. Of that year is also his sudden death, which took place in Modena, after a short hospitalization, on June 15.